Thursday, March 29, 2007

Knitters Treat Exchange

I was pretty darn positive that I actually posted this to my blog, but perhaps I didn't. In any case....here we go..Again.

Not that I actually need to join more swaps, but I think I can handle one small swap in addition to SP10, and I think it will be fun, too. Not to mention it's all a great diversion from the homework and paper-writing I've been doing all week.

I am skipping out on the sewing expo this year (sob) due to the crazy amount of work--not only for school (writing papers, planning a lecture for my 8AM classes) but also with work this weekend. So, yes, busy. But i've also been doing a good job of having fun: Knitting (of course), seeing Brett Butler at the comedy club, reading Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal (which is hysterical, and of course, is sacriligious. So if you're super religious, stay away from the book! But if you're like me and can laugh about it...and know an inkling about Christianity, it's a fun read, and very much an anachronistic type of book). It's been super nice to be able to read in bed PAST midnight! For once! And now I cannot wait till summer break...so I can stay up late for a whole couple months and read and knit and be lazy!

But onto the questionnaire, which I stumbled on (serendipitiously)!

Knitters Treat Exchange Questionnaire

1. What's your favourite type of yarn?
Hands down: NORO! NORO! (let me hear ya!) But I also like other natural fibers, like silk, wool (as long as it's not scratchy). I love rich, saturated colors--as long as they dont' make me look like I have jaundice (that is--yellow or orange. And as long as they're not baby colors (pink, powder blue, yellow), I'm fine.)

2. What's your least favourite type of yarn?
I am a little tired of eyelash yarn--the first time I saw it was in Europe and it was so luxurious--actually is still one of my most favorite scarves, but for a long time I kept seeing yucky eyelash yarns for years. And they weren't pretty. That didn't stop me from making the vegan fox, though. I also am not a big fan of cotton yarns.

3. What's the first thing you do when you visit a new yarn shop?
Tell myself "You do NOT need new yarn." Then I zero in on the Noro. Then the Louisa Hardings. Anything that has interesting colors or looks to it...then I pet the yarn like it was a beloved pet (maybe it was someone else's beloved pet sheep though?) Then compulsion takes over. And I buy yarn and bemoan the fact that I spent too much money.

4. What other crafts do you do / would like to do?
I like collages, jewelry making. I would love to get back into metal work.

5. What magazines do you currently subscribe to?
None. Though I do read some magazines, and if I see one I want, I'll buy it. But I'm pretty good about not blowing the budget on magazines.

6. Put this type of magazine in order of preference:Knitting / Crochet / Other Craft / Food / Home / Fashion / Celebrity Gossip / Garden
Knitting, Food, Other Craft, and Fashion/Home/Celebrity Gossip/Garden in the same category, followed by crochet (since I can't, anyway).

7. What items do you like to knit / crochet?
I like to knit scarves, hats, and I'm really liking knitting mittens now. I plan to work on a few sweaters as soon as this semester is over.

8. Are you allergic to anything?
Dust. Mold. Pollen. Some dogs and cats. And cigarette smoke.

9. What do you like to* smell of?(*This is not a typo. The question is: What do you like to smell of)
Patchouli, jasmine, or anything citrus-y.

10. What's your favourite way to relax?'
Curl up with a good cozy mystery (i.e., books like those written by Donna Andrews, Carole Nelson-Douglas, Sharyn McCrumb, Diane Mott Davidson, Elizabeth Peters). Oh, and knitting. If I'm really super stressed out, I find that cutting intricate pieces of paper is a great stress-reliever.

11. You're stood in front of a Victorian style sweetshop, an Italian cafe, an old fashioned bakery and a dainty tea room. Where do you go first?
I hit the Italian cafe first. I have always had a little love affair with Italy...let my backtrack. As a little girl, i was totally in love with the idea of Italy...then I went in high school...during tourist season, which probably isn't the best way to see Italy. Or any touristy country. But I went again a couple times when I lived abroad, and it was like seeing the Italy of my imagination.

12. What do you come out with?
Italian cafe it is. I'd get something chocolaty, and maybe one of those amaretti cookies...and if this one happens to have gelato, well, you can bet I'd be eating a lot of that.

13. Where do you go next?
The bakery! Assuming I'm in Europe still, I'd hit the German bakeries in Munich and completely gorge myself on Schokobrotchen, Quarktaschen, Brez'n, or maybe some of those tortes!

14. Any other words of wisdom for your pal?
Wear clean underwear, in case you get in an accident. (Honestly is there anything else we need to know?) :0)

No comments: