I'm pretty excited that Secret Pal 14 is starting! So without any further ado, here is the questionnaire...
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I really love Noro yarns, but also love yarns that are very soft, such as alpaca or merino wool (examples include Malabrigo, some Debbie Bliss, Ella Rae, etc...). I'm trying to break the Noro addiction, though. I hate knitting with squeaky acrylic (I prefer natural fibers).
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have this old Winnie-the-Pooh makeup bag from high school that I use, plus a few other random bags for different needles.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn?
I've been knitting since college (since I was 18), even though I learned how to knit and purl before that (but it wasn't till college that I learned to do things like make scarves). My mom taught me how to knit and purl, and I made things up in college, and finally took a few classes in grad school to learn how to make a sweater, do entrelac, and to do fair isle knitting.
Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I'd say I'm intermediate, but am pretty adventurous, though some pattern charts nearly give me heart attacks.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? Yes, but I don't even remember what's on it anymore!
5. What's your favorite scent? Patchouli, also citrusy scents.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? YES. I love chocolates (dark) and I work at a store that sells gourmet chocolates, so that can be a bad thing! Also love peppermints.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I used to do a lot of jewelry making, but knitting requires a lot less clean-up. Does cooking also count? Do I spin? I have a drop spindle and a little fiber, but have not quite got the hang of it.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) I listen to folk rock and indie rock, so some good examples are: Lisa Loeb, Jill Sobule, The Decemberists, Jill Tracy, Laura Viers, Over the Rhine
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand? I like purple, green, red, blue...hate pale/pastel colors and absolutely loathe yellow.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I live at home and do not have pets
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I wear scarves, hats, and mittens.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I knit scarves and sweaters. Once in a while I get in the mood to knit mittens, hats, or socks.
13. What are you knitting right now?
I am working on the Squirrelly Mittens (2 years in the making...), the Akeogomi Tunic, and a pair of socks from Cookie A's book.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Circulars, and bamboo
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
18. What is your favorite holiday? What winter holiday do you observe?
It's a toss-up between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I observe Christmas
19. Is there anything that you collect?
Yes--postcards (I have a special collection of tacky postcards that are all black and say things like, "Cleveland at night")
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
A Stitch in Time Knitting and crochet Patterns, vol. 1
Little Birds (sweater pattern by Ysolda Teague)
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
steeking, even though it terrifies me!
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Sort of. I have lots of sock yarn. I wear a size US 9.
23. When is your birthday?
24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID?
Yes, I am jukeboxheroine
Raffe and Ralph Rock Out
5 weeks ago